Face It. We all need advices in life.
Dear Diary
Bright early morning…. Somehow struggling to wake up even when it is already 8.35am. Hmmm… haven’t being “andrella-ing” (ie. sleeping at midnight on the dot). I guess it was the lure of surfing the Internet, chatting of friends online and talking to my sister who was sitting on my bed just beside my computer last night. Had a pretty nice chat with her. I guess life is fraught with uncertainties… sigh. In fact, last night while I was happily skipping home from work (excited because I caught the early bus and was on the way of reaching home just before 10pm until….), I bumped into my sister’s boyfriend. He was… no, he is still and will always be 3 years older than me, haha… chronologically. =) I sat at the bus-stop beside him and we chatted for 25 minutes.
He was a little perplexed because he was considering a PhD abroad (he couldn’t do it locally because his first degree wasn’t good) but he knew that it could, very well, jeopardise his relationship with sis. Sis is on still on Ministry of Education (MOE) bond and even if they got married, she can’t really uproot to go to another country with him. I knew it is a difficult decision because I am also pretty ambitious in that sense. However, I told him that is when his priorities in life count. Which is more important? Just as I was about to leave, I told him something which I was kinda amazed myself… “If a decision is too hard to make. Choose the one which you know that you can never accomplish later in life if you are still interested. Some choices are one-time kinds. If you choose otherwise, you will never be able to turn back time.” You can always do a PhD later but a girl may not wait for you.
How true. I am surprised that I was dishing out tonnes of advice over the last 2 days like during my good old university when I am guilty of teaching and strategising for my friends how to chase girls. In fact, I even met up with my cell group leader on Monday evening over dinner at The Pizza Place (Raffles City) and we chatted for over 2 hours before adjourning to Gloria Jean café nearby for another 1 more of hour of chat. I was advising him of being sure about full-time ministry before embarking on a degree in theology. He should, at least, try to work in the church for a while. Then I told him about always pausing a while before sending out an email at the fit of the moment, which he is always prone to. Similarly, on Tuesday, my own colleague (fellow classmate) was bombarded by many pharmacists for her seemingly insensitive email. I stepped in and told everyone to be forgiving to each other, and it kinda defuse the tension. The advice I gave to my cell group leader was that if you want to argue passionately for a cause… by all means, type it on a Word document and capture that feeling of the moment. However, don’t send it yet. Wait for the next day. Review it again when you are much more in control of your emotions, make the appropriate changes (which I am sure you will have need for changes) and then send it. I learn that from experience too… ever sent some emails at the heat of my fury and only to regret, to apologise and to salvage the situation which usually would no longer be like before. Sigh… we will learn with time.
Was also teaching my student about choosing the right pre-reg training centre, the right module, the right mindset over lunch yesterday. Gave her a treat at Subway. It was the first time I ate at Subway nearby my workplace. =) Anyway, after all the advising… I realise that I need help too! I am just so good at giving advice but I just can’t carry them out in my life many a time. How? How to know a girl more? Seems harder in practice. The frustration is that there is a potential target and I am still dilly-dallying away and lacking confidence. Oh well… I will seek advice from my friend when I watch “Transformers” with him tonight! ;-) Can’t wait to relive my childhood with the “Transformers” but more pressing issues may dominate my mind the moment the movie ends.
Alright, see ya!
God Bless,
Andrew


1 Comments:
What advice has your friend given you then?
11:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home