The Life and Contemplation of a Man who has graduated and is about to start working for his upkeep but still thinks he is a youth!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Carrying a Lady... It's not easy, you know?

Dear Diary,


An incredible incident happened to me this morning. I had just reached the vicinity of my workplace and I thought I would adjourn to the nearby Gents for comb my messy hair. As I stepped out of the toilet, two women were dragging another lady right across my path. “Help!” They yelled. I did not even think if it was “candid camera” or anything… and it was natural reaction to move forward and render help.


Very quickly, a glance at the hyperventilating plump middle-aged Indian lady… Airway clear because no universal sign of choking, Breathing clear because she was breathing and awake, Circulation clear because she was breathing…. A, B, C done. I passed my bag over to one of her female friends and lifted her up with my arms. Oh goodness…. She was definitely heavier than I imagined. Was she even about my weight? Her entire body was limp, gasping for breath and her hands were swinging around, almost smacking me… Hey, I didn’t do anything to you! Haha… “Ok, help me grab those hands before them slap me,” I told one of her friends… I staggered for about 30 metres before I decided that I need to either piggyback her or “fireman-lift” her. However, she seemed unresponsive to commands.


Upon seeing a passer-by, I said, “Call him for help!” The friend got that Indian man and we both carried that lady all the way to the nearest clinic 2 storeys above us and we covered about 120 metres!!! My arms were breaking… Then after plopping the lady down on the sofa at the clinic, I raced off to my pharmacy just on time. My female student was already there and she told me that she saw me carry that lady along that corridor at the second storey. Hmmm… haha…. I was all sweaty! Then the male student came. Anyway, on one’s wedding day, just remember to, at least, trying carrying your wife first before you do it in front of everyone in the ceremony. She may be heavier than expected! If you struggle and drop her, it is definitely not romantic or “memorable in the good sense”!


Frankly, my voice has improved since those days of dysphonia but still yet to be fully recovered. Oh well, the students said my hoarse voice sounds sexily manly…. Errr… couldn’t get it fully recovered because I had to teach them most of the day. However, kinda thank God for two lovely NUS pharmacy students. I thought that the guy and the gal were a nice little bunch. Reminded me of the time when I worked with a female classmate at a retail outlet during my preceptorship then. I am resolved to really make their experience at my pharmacy a fruitful, educational and inspiring one! =)


"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."


Which will I be? I hope I can be more than just mediocre or good! ;-) That’s my target for this preceptorship training. I have 6 weeks to prove that!


God Bless,


Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home